“White Spot Patio” 2017 DS
- Born in Dumfries, Scotland where Robbie Burns (famous poet) was buried
- Family of musicians (6 generations of mouth organ, accordion, violin, guitar, organ), loves the bagpipes and dancing
- Worked for the Vancouver School Board
- Has a vast collection of pink roses and rose memorabilia
- Oil on canvas, 4’ x 3’, ornate gold frame (made by the artist too)
- “Heart Lake” on Vancouver Island with soft pinks and greys (a lake she has never seen)
- Painting was bought when she was 21, a visit with her parents to the artist’s gallery (her classmate from high school’s father Mr. Kaip who was moving to Vancouver Island)
“Something about the painting called out to me. I just loved the colours and the sense of peace it gave me. I guess I must have some artistic sense.
I have had it in every home I have lived in over the decades. It has been in my bedroom and living room. Right now it is in the upstairs hallway.
I will tell my sculptor son it’s history one day and leave it to him.”
We met at the White Spot at Park Royal. In fact Joyce invited me and blessed me twice with an interview and a lunch on her. I am intrigued by this giving of interviews with various people who rarely talk about art yet their passion sparkles their eyes as they are asked the same question: “Is there a piece of art that has a particular meaning for you – from art history, your own childhood etc.?” DS